10 May 2007

Great American

A Marine that my husband fought beside has been killed. His life was taken by a sniper. I don't know the reason or the situation but I do know that he was a great American.

A great American? I often joke with friends that before 3M and I got married I never knew there were such things as great Americans, I thought that if you lived in America you were American and that was the end of it. I was wrong.

There are men and women who put their lives on the line, for people who complain about them and belittle their efforts. Men and women who spend time away from their families and friends so that others have a chance at a better future. They work 20 hour days so that my son, and many others sons and daughters can live in a country that is free and safe.

Truth is we are surrounded by great Americans and we don't even know it, let alone show it. I am glad that I finally understand this secret society and comprehend that its members may be walking next to me at the mall, waiting patiently for me to turn so they can drive on, or smiling politely as I pass them in the grocery store.

Unfortunately, I also know that today there is one less great American walking this land and that is a true shame. I am sorry I didn't get a chance to thank him for protecting my husband and defending my freedom. I can't wait to get the chance to thank the next great America who crosses my path.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I'm sorry to hear about 3M's buddy. (I do know what 3M is, too. Do I win something?)

I know what you mean about how your views changed after you met/married 3M. I was never particularly patriotic or observant of the flag. But these last 10 years have given me a much greater appreciation. I tear up when I see WWII veterans proudly wearing their medals and saluting the flag as it goes by on a parade. I get choked up looking at that artists rendering of the Vietnam wall- you know, the one with the dad placing his hand on the wall and it reflects the image of his dead son with his hand pressed up against his dad's?

Once you know an honorable person who had sacrificed it all for his country... once you've attended one of those memorial services... it's all different. But I'm a better person for that difference.